Sunday, October 07, 2007

Baha'i Youth Gathering, Newcastle Baha'i Centre


Yesterday, when I woke up, I still wasn't sure whether I was going to the Baha'i Youth Gathering. I had already decided earlier in the week to go with another friend, Katy. However, the day before, she said that she lost her voice and couldn't make it. Since, I was all alone, I wasn't sure whether it was safe for me to travel alone on my own. Even at 12 noon, I was still making my mind. To go or not to go!


At 12.25pm, I just got up and changed and left! It was a spur of the moment, because I knew if I thought about it a while longer, I wouldn't have gone. So I packed my stuff and headed to the train station.


The night before, I emailed a friend telling that I wasn't not going, but he kinda ask me to try my best to go, he even got me a map! So I felt kinda bad not trying my best to go...


Reached the Baha'i Centre just in time and it was not a very far walk from the Metra station, and it was quite easy to find. Slowly, more and more people turned up. It was nice to see the diversity of it all. Some where from the States, some from Canada, there was one from India, Bahrain, Spain, Portugal......


We had a couple of activities on the duty of youth in this day and age. It was nice to see different views from different people!


Ended at around 5.30pm and they headed to dinner. Wanted to join them, but I didn't want to go all the way back to Sunderland in the dark, so I left right then to come back just in time for dinner.


Overall, it was nice to meet so many new faces from different parts of the world! Hope to see everyone soon!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"For any person, whether Baha'i or not, his youthful years are those in which he will make many decisions which will set the course of his life. In these years he is most likely to choose his life's work, complete his education, begin to earn his own living, marry, and start to raise his own family. Most important of all, it is during this period that the mind is most questing and that the spiritual values that will guide the person's future behaviour are adopted. These factors present Baha'i youth with their greatest opportunities, their greatest challenges, and their greatest tests - opportunities to truly apprehend the teachings of their Faith and to give them to their contemporaries, challenges to overcome the pressures of the world and to provide leadership for their and succeeding generations, and tests enabling them to exemplify in their lives the high moral standards set forth in the Baha'i writings."
-Universal House of Justice (1996)


No comments: